Hey guys, I hope everything is well! My hair is very curly ,and I only straighten my locks once in awhile to avoid heat damage. Growing up, having curly hair was a blessing and a curse. Sometimes it’s great because it gives me another option when I don’t want to put effort into a hairstyle, but other days I just really wish my hair was straight and out of the way. Taking care of curly hair comes with patience and education. It’s an important to know what products to use and what products to stay away from. If you are someone who has curly hair naturally , but have years of heat damage, it’s not the end of the world. You can restore your curls! But it’s going to take time and a new routine for hair care. Here are a few steps to get you started!
- Wash your hair with sulfate free shampoo and let your hair air dry. If the majority of your hair is loose waves and straight at the ends , don’t be alarmed. You will still be able to restore your curl pattern, but your hair strands must learn to readapt to it’s original state.
- Try a protein masque. You can try my favorite so far , which seems a little weird, but it does the trick. I personally have a lot of hair so …. First I crack two eggs and I wisp them right up as if I were making scrambled eggs. Next I take one avocado and I smash it , until it has a creamy texture. I then take honey ( I prefer honey maybe bought at a farmer’s market or a product that is organic). I put all ingredients into a bowl/mix it up/ apply to my hair. You want to start at the root and work your way down. The easiest thing to do is part your hair into sections. Leave the masque on for about 15 mins before rinsing with cool water.
- Try a bunch of products until you find those suited for your hair type. I have thick hair, but it is also fine , so it is not always resilient. As you go on this hair journey , your hair will enter several states. So the products you use will change every so often.
- Last but not least NO HEAT PRODUCTS. I know I know it sucks, but you have to say no. I am still on my hair journey, yes still. I’m not sure how much longer I have until my hair will be in the state I want it to be , but I have to be patient. You can straighten or flat iron your hair, but only a couple of times of year. If you can go without completely kudos. But realistically, every girl wants to change it up once in awhile.
Below are my favorite products as of now and Youtubers that may encourage you to start your journey!
- Left : Macadamia Natural Oil : Deep Repair Mask ; Right : Shea Moisture : African Black Soap Deep Cleansing Shampoo
- Left: Mixed Chicks: Deep Conditioner ( not currently using, but /I’ve used for years and love it ; Right: Macadamia Natural Oil : Shampoo and Conditioner ( I use the products specified for baby fine hair, but there is one for all hair types)
Photo credits : 1. folica.com 2. macadamiahair.com 3. mixed chicks (Walgreens ad) 4. macadamiahair.com
Favorite Youtubers for curly hair
- SunKissAlba – great for girls who are all about being NATURAL
- CurlyPenny- very funny / well educated on curly hair (self taught of course)
- RisasRizos- great for those of you who are on your hair journey or would like to start!
Both SunKissaAlba and RisasRizoz are closer to my hair type, but there are plenty of you curly haired Youtubers who will fit your hair type so go search for them!
Thanks for reading guys, if you like what you see, follow my page! bye🙂